4.29.2010

missed connections

First and foremost, I absolutely love the idea behind this blog. There are numerous occasions when I've wondered "if I go to this particular coffee shop tonite, maybe I'll find exactly who I'm looking for." Missed Connections author/illustrator Sophie Blackall describes her blog rather well:

Messages in bottles, smoke signals, letters written in the sand; the modern equivalents are the funny, sad, beautiful, hopeful, hopeless, poetic posts on Missed Connections websites. Every day hundreds of strangers reach out to other strangers on the strength of a glance, a smile or a blue hat. Their messages have the lifespan of a butterfly. I'm trying to pin a few of them down.

I adore these:


Text: Can I buy you a drink? -Buffalo plaid jacket



Text: I am a nice, quiet guy, and I am about to have a missed connection with someone at my local laundromat when I go in a half hour to do my laundry. I'll probably be sitting in a corner reading, because I don't like to leave my laundry alone. Maybe you're there doing your laundry too?


And these are nice too:


Text: We were both swimming around 5-6 in astoria pool. we ended up walking the same direction in the park for a while but didn't talk. i wish i had said hi...so i figured i would on here. worth a shot.



Text: Green Hula Hoop in Tompkins Square Park Yesterday you had a bright green hula hoop around your waist and you were VERY cute. Hope you reply.

Thanks, Sophie, for all this hope and charm. You rock.

(oh, and here's her etsy shop)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails