2.21.2010

Exploring Colour

Hey, you're color swatch girl! Yep, that's me I suppose (I really do get this sometimes).

So since I am indeed "color swatch girl," I figure I'd dedicate this post to exploring fun facts about colour (just changed up the spelling because the british way just looks so much fancier).

From the Color My Closet blog, I discovered that many people size one another up within 90 seconds, and their first impression is based primarily on the colours we are wearing. Colour alone accounts for between 62 and 90% of that vital first impression.


The following colours are considered "retired" from the famous Crayola crayon box: Blue gray, green blue, lemon yellow, maize, orange red, orange yellow, raw umber, violet blue. Thank my lucky stars that cerulean didn't make the cut. That one was always my first pick when coloring the sky or ocean, rather than regular ole blue.




Ok, so my favorite color is yellow. Here are some tidbits I dug up about this chummy colour:

Why are No. 2 pencils yellow? This blog says that in China, the colour yellow is associated with royalty and respect. American pencil manufacturers began painting their pencils bright yellow to communicate this 'regal' feeling and association with China.

The colour yellow also stimulates mental processes, activates memory (which could be a plus for the whole yellow pencil thing), and encourages communication. For me, yellow just makes me smile.


Only 2 cities in the US have the colour yellow in them: Yellow Pine, Idaho and Yellow Springs, Kentucky. Green is the most popular colour of cities with colour names.

For more colour inspiration, mosey on over to my other blog, huesdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails